"The Promise"


Web-SLD-The-Promise.jpg (123074 bytes)
120KB and printable on a 8.5X11 inch page

Web-SLD-The-Promise--large.jpg (227368 bytes)
Should clicking the first thumbnail be hard to read on your computer screen, click the thumbnail above to display a more readable document. Longer download (40 sec. or more on a 56KB connection). This enlargement will not print on a 8.5X11 page.

"The Promise" is an address that SFC Sammy L. Davis (R) gave at his daughter's graduation at Sheppard AFB late last year (2001).

The baby that Sammy is holding in the photo is his Granddaughter, Sammi Jo (Samantha Jolee) Johnson. The name is a combination of Sammy Lee Davis' and his wife's name, Peggy Jo Davis.

Oh, in case you may seem to recognize Sammy's name, yes, he is the one who helped save Jim Diester's life that night in 1967 at FSB Cudgel. Jim Deister was in C Company, 15th Combat Engineer Battalion. To read Jim's story about what happened that night go to "Personal Stories" and select "FSB Cudgel"

For his actions during the VC/NVA assault of FSB Cudgel, on 18 November 1967, Sammy L. Davis, then a PFC and Cannoneer, with  C Company, 2/4th Artillery was awarded the Medal of Honor.

To visit Sammy's web site click http://www.homeofheroes.com/sammydavis

davis_sammy_field2.jpg (40954 bytes)

-FSB Cudgel-
SFC Sammy L. Davis (R), C.M.H.

Place and date: West of Cai Lay, Republic of Vietnam, 18 November 1967

Entered service at: Indianapolis, Indiana

Born: 1 November 1946, Dayton, Ohio

Medal of Honor Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Davis (then Pfc.) distinguished himself during the early morning hours while serving as a cannoneer with battery C at a remote fire support base. At approximately 0200 hours, the fire support base was under heavy enemy mortar attack. Simultaneously, an estimated reinforced Viet Cong battalion launched a fierce ground assault upon the fire support base. The attacking enemy drove to within 25 meters of the friendly positions. Only a river separated the Viet Cong from the fire support base. Detecting a nearby enemy position, Sgt. Davis seized a machine gun and provided covering fire for his gun crew, as they attempted to bring direct artillery fire on the enemy. Despite his efforts, an enemy recoiless rifle round scored a direct hit upon the artillery piece. The resultant blast hurled the gun crew from their weapon and blew Sgt. Davis into a foxhole. He struggled to his feet and returned to the howitzer, which was burning furiously. Ignoring repeated warnings to seek cover, Sgt. Davis rammed a shell into the gun. Disregarding a withering hall of enemy fire directed against his position, he aimed and fired the howitzer which rolled backward, knocking Sgt. Davis violently to the ground. Undaunted, he returned to the weapon to fire again when an enemy mortar round exploded within 20 meters of his position, injuring him painfully. Nevertheless, Sgt. Davis loaded the artillery piece, aimed and fired. Again he was knocked down by the recoil. In complete disregard for his safety, Sgt. Davis loaded and fired 3 more shells into the enemy. Disregarding his extensive injuries and his inability to swim, Sgt. Davis picked up an air mattress and struck out across the deep river to rescue 3 wounded comrades on the far side. Upon reaching the 3 wounded men, he stood upright and fired into the dense vegetation to prevent the Viet Cong from advancing. While the most seriously wounded soldier was helped across the river, Sgt. Davis protected the 2 remaining casualties until he could pull them across the river to the fire support base. Though suffering from painful wounds, he refused medical attention, joining another howitzer crew which fired at the large Viet Cong force until it broke contact and fled. Sgt. Davis' extraordinary heroism, at the risk of his life, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

Web-SLDdavis_bush.jpg (27448 bytes)